The best way to make the most of life is by using time wisely. That means we need to be intentional about how we use our time because time spent can never be gotten back.
Our lives are in seasons and in each season, time is meant to be spent doing particular things. This has been clearly stated in Ecclesiastes 3:1 which says, ‘’There is time for everything and a season for every activity under the heaven.”
So many people (with me not being an exception) at some point in life always feel like time is inadequate. We are either in a hurry trying to catch up with time, always busy, or overwhelmed with the things we need to do.
But the truth is, the time we have is ENOUGH. We must realize that God who has created time and seasons is perfect. He must have carefully thought it out and put everything into consideration when He made 24 hours in a day and 365 days in a year.
God made time enough for us to do all we need to do including the time to rest and feel refreshed but the main reason for inadequate time is a result of poor time management.
Before now, I have been overwhelming myself and setting unrealistic goals and schedules because I felt I was behind time and was trying to catch up with the seasons of my life I had wasted.
But God spoke to me about time because he wanted me to slow down and truly understand the essence of time.
First He slowed me down through a revelation I received while listening to one of Joyce Meyer’s teachings when she mentioned Luke 19:10 which says, ‘’For the Son of Man came to seek and to save that which was lost.”
This made me realize that even though I had lost time and wasted some years, God will restore every time lost and everything I had missed from the time wasted.
Through God’s help I also came to realize and understood the following about time:
- One of the reasons people are always in a hurry, busy and overwhelmed is because they are trying to catch up on wasted time or seasons.
- Sometimes people get busy doing nothing important. We must be focused and set our minds on the things we need to do per time and not give time to everything that seeks our attention because not everything is important, necessary, or urgent.
- We have to be in control of our time and by so doing not let anything or anyone dictate to us how to spend our time.
- You cannot be a people pleaser if you want to successfully use your time wisely. You should not be on people’s beck and call at all times. You must learn to say no to people and carefully consider your response in accepting invitations and responsibilities.
- Live life on purpose. Do not start your day without having plans for the day. Have a daily to-do list or set schedules. If you don’t, you are most likely setting yourself up for an unproductive day.
- Pay attention to the seasons of your life and with the help of God spend time doing the right things for each season. If not, you will spend time trying to catch up.
- It is never too late to make the most of your time. It is never too late to start making good decisions and good choices even though it is always better to start on time.
Knowing how important and valuable time is, God wants us to also know how to create a good balance in spending time with Him, on ourselves, our purpose, and other relationships.
HOW AND WHY YOU SHOULD INVEST YOUR TIME ON THE FOLLOWING:
1. ON GOD: To successfully make the most of the time it is very important to spend time with God because He is your maker. He made the times and seasons of your life. He knows your end from your beginning and knows what you ought to do per time (see Jeremiah 1:5, Isaiah 46:10, Revelation 22:13).
If you stay connected to God, He will give you wisdom and insight on how to manage your time (see Jeremiah 33:3).
He will show you what your purpose on earth is and He will give you the grace to stay focused and do the things you ought to do per time.
God also does miracles with our time, I can personally testify to that. He can multiply your time just like He did with the five loaves of bread and two fishes in Matthew 14:13-21.
I can’t really explain it but when I ask God to help me on days I feel short of time, what I suddenly realize is that it is either time becomes slower than usual or I become more productive with ease and I achieve my goals in good time.
Spend time talking with God (praying), studying, and meditating on His word. Make it a priority because without God you can do nothing (see John 15:5).
2. ON YOURSELF: Asides spending time with God, spending time on you and with you is the most important thing to do.
It is through spending time with yourself that you discover who you are and what your purpose on earth is.
Once you discover your purpose, you also need to spend time improving yourself in that regard. Please, invest time in self-improvement because every individual is an embodiment of great potentials that can only be discovered and harnessed through self-improvement.
We all need to also maintain a healthy body, soul, spirit, and mind which require time and focus.
Unhealthy people cannot successfully make the most of their time to achieve their purpose or to build and maintain a healthy relationship with God and others.
It is very wise to invest time early enough in living a healthy life so that in the long run your life won’t be brought to a halt by ill-health as a result of negligence.
Like I always say, self-care is not selfish; you need to feel well to be able to enjoy life, help others, and accomplish your purpose.
3. ON YOUR PURPOSE: One of the best things that can happen to anyone is to discover their purpose and to focus their time on achieving same.
So many people are caught up doing jobs or things that rid them of their joy, fulfillment, and contentment.
Do not do things solely because of money or because of the need to feel relevant and accepted.
The truth is, if you are doing what you have been made to do, you will definitely be successful at it. Meaning it will sustain you by meeting your wants and needs. Also, your success will give it noticeable and enviable relevance.
In order not to live with regrets, avoid procrastination and wishful thinking because nothing good can be derived from both. Do the right things when you have the opportunity to do them.
Once you know what you need to do per time, keep your mind set on it and stay focused because the earlier you start to pursue your purpose, the earlier you make great strides towards achieving it and have a great future.
4. ON RELATIONSHIPS: Good relationships are also very important in life so it is necessary to invest time in building and sustaining great relationships as well as getting rid of bad and unhealthy ones.
There is the saying that goes, ‘’show me your friends and I will tell you who you are.’’ This reiterates the fact that we need to be careful about the friendships we make as they always have an influence on our lives. They can either make or mar us.
Good relationships play vital roles in our success in life, that is why it is important to associate with like minds or serious-minded people.
Make connections with people who have gone ahead of you successfully on the path you are on.
Dissociate yourself from negative people, people who always criticize you and make you feel insecure, unserious people, or lazy and idle people.
A dear friend and mentor, Gabe Itodo wrote, ‘’If I cannot stop you from your unserious lifestyle, I can at least stop you from interfering with my seriousness towards life.”
Be in control of your life and your time. Do not allow anyone to toss you at will to do their bidding thereby causing you to lose focus or seriousness on your purpose.
Do not let the fear of being unaccepted or being side-tracked make you mingle with the wrong crowd.
Runaway from anyone who is always quick to discourage or hinder you from achieving your goals and dream.
See to it that all your relationships have a reciprocal trend. They should mostly be a give and take. Any relationship that is always one-sided when it comes to giving and receiving is unhealthy.
Any time you feel frustrated or overwhelmed with time or all that is going in your life, please do not hesitate to turn to God for help.
God is for you and not against you. He will guide you on how to make the most of your time. It doesn’t matter how long you have mismanaged your time, now is still a good time to start using your time wisely. As long as you are alive, you must keep being hopeful because it is not over.
God is still performing miracles; I am a living testimony. He can help you recover the time you have lost.
Stay connected to God. That is a sure way to know what you are meant to do per time and how best to utilize your time.